Thursday, June 28, 2007

FLAG Day 2 of 5

I started chemo yesterday afternoon. The drugs run rather quickly, so it's not the continuous or hours long infusions I have come to know. That aspect is kind of nice. I'm also still on two different IV antibiotics for my central line and hoping it won't need to be pulled.

I haven't slept well the past two nights, and as a result I can barely keep my eyes open today. I've had a few good naps already. I'm taking dilautid still for the pain in my line and back (from the biopsy) and that tends to make me sleepy as well. I started feeling some nausea last night after finishing chemo but so far it has been manageable and I've been able to keep meals down.

Brandon stayed with me through yesterday afternoon, but he will need to work the next several days. I am hoping he can bring Gary up one evening soon so I can visit with him. He is allowed to visit as long as he passes the health exam at the door. Thankfully he just finished cutting a few teeth last week, so his typical symptoms from that have disappeared and Lord willing, he'll stay healthy. As my counts fall over the next days I will basically be isolated, except for brief visits from family.

For now things are really going as well as can be expected. I am somewhat nervous about the final chemo drug, mylotarg, as it can cause significant liver damage, especially when used with younger post-transplant patients. The doctors have made a good case for using it, though, and say it has the best chance of getting me into remission. If I can reach remission, we will do a second transplant with another sibling donor. That is the what I'm racing for -- the ultimate goal and the only chance of a "cure."

Happy Birthday to my dad today.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh! First Comment!

Yay!

:)

Love ya much.

April said...

Awwww, Amy. I still continue to think of you and pray for you daily. Your fight is incredible and I know that God is ever present in your battle.

I can only imagine what your days are like and pray that God will fill them with good things. Remission is the ultimate goal for you and the ultimate prayer on my list for you.

I pray that peace will surround you and that your central line will be able to stay put!

Hugs and health...

Me said...

Amy,

I am fervently praying for remission and the good health of little Gary, so you can see him soon.

God Bless!
Leigh

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy,
I am glad to you are doing well as far as managing side effects. I am praying every day for your cure...not just more time, but complete healing, believing that He is able!

Love,
Gina

Anonymous said...

Amy,
I am praying that Gary is very healthy and that you spend as much time with him as you can...which leads me to my next thing. I realize you do not need to email me, however I feel that at ANY time now and in the next couple weeks, basically whenever, if I could be of any kind of assistance to you and your family..I would drive there in a heartbeat. I could help for a weekend or a couple of days during the week when Gary is working...I just want to help if you need me, keep that in mind, that is not just words but my honest heart, I would help you if at ANY time you guys are in need. With all my love
April Martin
adivemartin@homtmail.com
Don't waste your time on emailing me out of obligation, I just want you to if you need me..Enjoy today, your are continually in my prayers and thoughts!

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good fight. Agreeing with you for your miracle and also for joy and peace.

Patty

Carrie J said...

You are in my prayers. God Bless.

ann said...

Still praying for you!
annb

Angela said...

Praying for remission! In Christ, Angela

Anonymous said...

I know we are praying for healing..but what else can I be praying for? Do you have some specific requests or burdens on your heart? I know there must be many right now, but I would love to do a few focused prayers for you if you are willing to share some.

Anonymous said...

Faint not nor fear, God's arms are near,
He changeth not, and thou art dear;
Only believe, and thou shalt see
That Christ is all in all to thee.

Still Praying & keeping you in our thoughts.

Dorothy

Anonymous said...

Bless your heart. I have been following on your blog, but have missed the past few days. It was good to get caught up. Now I know why the LORD prompted me to pray for you this morning. I think of you often. Heaven truly is being stormed on your behalf.

Anonymous said...

Remission...transplant...cure.
That will be our prayer for you!
Thanks for your words.

It's hard, but you ARE glorifying Jesus. He's got to be smiling when He looks at you, though there are probably tears in His eyes as well.

Anonymous said...

Dear Amy,
You are in our thoughts and prayers. We are here praying for you in Southern California! I pray that this round of chemo would have a wonderful outcome and little to no side effects and that you would feel your strength returning.
Blessings to you and your family.
Cathy (for the Russell family)

Chocolate and Coffee said...

You are in my prayers. You are amazing!

Blessings to you!

Just Me said...

Praying that He gives you today exceedingly abundantly more than you could ask or imagine....Love in Him, Terri

Anonymous said...

Prayers that the myelotarg and these other chemo drugs do their job. Prayers for no severe side effects. Prayers for REMISSION and a second transplant. What a blessing to have so many siblings to pick from. I will be praying, praying, praying!

Anonymous said...

Amy,
Will you hurry up and please get well. I wake up in the middle o the night thinking about you and praying for you. I need the rest.

But I will continue to pray for you until the battle's won. I'm asking for complete and instantaneous healing. Forget the remission and transplant.
Uncle Cliff

Heather said...

Thank you for the updates! Praying for you!!

Rachel said...

I hope things go well Amy. You are in my prayers.

Happy belated birthday to your Dad!

Sis. Julie said...

Still praying and will update the church tonight at prayer meeting.

Anonymous said...

You are in my prayers today