Saturday, June 30, 2007

Almost done with chemo...

Today was day four of five of the FLAG course. I'm still getting all three chemo drugs, plus two sterioids and growth factor (the "g" in flag.) Yesterday was a rough day. I had some breathing problems. We're not sure why, yet, just that I had inhilates in my lungs (i.e. fluid) and started hyperventilating for a while. That was my first experience with hyperventilation. I just felt like I couldn't get my lungs to expand at all. My ox-sat levels dropped so I spent some time on oxygen along with some Robitussin/codeine mix to help manage the cough. Once things cleared up I felt a lot better, and I've been o.k. today. We're waiting on test results on the fluid that showed up on the chest x-ray. One thing they are testing for is CMV.

My blood counts also took a pretty severe hit yesterday. My white count was down to 4.1 yesterday from 19.2 on Thursday. I got both blood and platelet transfusions last night as well, and will most likely get platelets again this evening.

My boys are here tonight, which has definitely made the battle of the past few days much more worth it -- I have really enjoyed spending the evening with my Gray.

Thanks so much for all of your prayers. Please keep them up! Tomorrow will be my last day of FLAG chemo, and then I will have mylotarg on Wednesday. For now they are planning to give me a full dose, depending on what my liver looks like by then. It is a highly toxic drug for the liver, so we have several concerns. It specifically targets snd destroys the protein CD33 in the cells, and I have been told that 95% of my blasts express CD33, so we are very hopeful that this will bring about remission for me.

25 comments:

Theresa said...

I just stopped and prayed for you, asking the Father for a miracle in your life and for peace and strength to endure the treatments. I know He is with you every step of the way!

Linda said...

I just came across your blog and want you to know that you are in my prayers and thoughts. I also asked the Father for a miracle in your life.

Amy K. said...

Oh, Amy, my heart aches for all that you have to endure...especially being away from your "boys". God bless you, and give you HIS strength and HIS peace. You are loved by strangers, as well as friends!

Anonymous said...

Amy-
I have been reading your blog since shortly after you started it. My MIL had Myelodysplasia which turned into AML several years ago and fought the same battle you are facing - it is very emotional for me to read about a mother of young child going through all of this. You are in my prayers, Amy, and I pray that God will reach down and give you strength and healing. God bless you and your family.

Erin in Ohio

Anonymous said...

Praying for remission!!!

Anonymous said...

Amy...
I've been reading your blog for a couple of months now but have never commented...
I just want you to know that I am praying for you and your family....for strength and complete healing. I am so blessed by your trust in HIM...HE is receiving much glory through you sharing.
"...His eyes are on the trusting ones; His ears are open unto their

Anonymous said...

"His eyes are on the trusting ones; His ears are open unto their cries...He will deliver them." I am crying out with you, dear Sister...

Heather said...

Praying for a miracle! You are doing such a great job...keep up the fight Amy. The Lord is with you. ((hug))heather

Colleen said...

Praying, Amy, Brandon and Gary!

We love you!
Colleen

weavermom said...

I don't remember how I found your blog and I can't remember if I've commented before, but I've been following your life for awhile now.

Just wanted to let you know that I think of you often, and I've been praying for you - for your Gary. Praying that God's plan for you is complete and total remission!

Anonymous said...

You are so strong, Amy!!! Praying for you all the time!

Anonymous said...

Amy,
You have been on our church prayer list for almost a year now, but I specifically mentioned your requests this morning so my church family would know what was going on.
Still praying,
Paula Marti

Anonymous said...

Amy,
We have been praying for you daily...several times a day in fact. We are praying for the Lord's protection over your body, your organs etc. and we are praying for your full healing.

Love,
Gina

Pam said...

Praying you into remission Amy:)

Sandy said...

Still praying......So glad your boys are with you!

Sandy

Amber D.M. said...

Still on my knees before the Throne on your behalf! We love you all.

Wish I could give you a good old-fashioned hug, but a cyber one will have to do...
~ Amber

Kim said...

Amy...I have been on a trip this past week...so I have only been able to read here once...Just wanted you to know I am praying for remission and hope this flag chemo works wonders! I am praying for the side effects,too.

I also have Brandon and Gary in my prayers!

Kim

Emmie, aka Vivian said...

Praying for you and yours from Central Texas, dear sister! The Lord is a very present help.

Anonymous said...

Dear Amy,

Hi! You don't know me, but I've been checking in on you for quite some time and praying for you.

You have been facing your fierce battle with cancer with such bravery and courage. I admire you greatly.

Keep looking up and trusting the One who holds your future in the palm of His hands. He is good and faithful.

My family was thrown into the world of pediatric cancer in February of this year. My son has 2 more chemo treatments left and hopefully after that we will hear the words "no evidence of disease." He has Wilms which is a rare kidney cancer, but has a very high cure rate. Along the road we have met many children with other forms of cancer such as ALL, AML, brain tumors, etc.

God has sustained our family in amazing ways and I pray that he continues to be your strength and peace each step of the way.

Praying for you.

In Him,

Julie

Anonymous said...

Amy, prayers are ascending to heaven from my quarter. God bless you. May He heal you completely.

Anonymous said...

Praying for you today... May God bless you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Please, please, please, Lord - bring on remission for Amy! I pray for it in the sweet name of Jesus. Amy, I'm also praying for no more hyperventilation for you - how scary! Keep fighting ~ God bless you!

Anonymous said...

Praying over here in the bluegrass state.

Nathan's mom said...

My God grant you peace, health and a long life with your family.

I am in the middle of a battle with my 6 year old son. Your blog gives me faith, courage and hope to continue our fight. I pray God's will is for remission for you.

Nancy

A Friend said...

Prayers and love and hugs and prayers.