Today was day four of five of the FLAG course. I'm still getting all three chemo drugs, plus two sterioids and growth factor (the "g" in flag.) Yesterday was a rough day. I had some breathing problems. We're not sure why, yet, just that I had inhilates in my lungs (i.e. fluid) and started hyperventilating for a while. That was my first experience with hyperventilation. I just felt like I couldn't get my lungs to expand at all. My ox-sat levels dropped so I spent some time on oxygen along with some Robitussin/codeine mix to help manage the cough. Once things cleared up I felt a lot better, and I've been o.k. today. We're waiting on test results on the fluid that showed up on the chest x-ray. One thing they are testing for is CMV.
My blood counts also took a pretty severe hit yesterday. My white count was down to 4.1 yesterday from 19.2 on Thursday. I got both blood and platelet transfusions last night as well, and will most likely get platelets again this evening.
My boys are here tonight, which has definitely made the battle of the past few days much more worth it -- I have really enjoyed spending the evening with my Gray.
Thanks so much for all of your prayers. Please keep them up! Tomorrow will be my last day of FLAG chemo, and then I will have mylotarg on Wednesday. For now they are planning to give me a full dose, depending on what my liver looks like by then. It is a highly toxic drug for the liver, so we have several concerns. It specifically targets snd destroys the protein CD33 in the cells, and I have been told that 95% of my blasts express CD33, so we are very hopeful that this will bring about remission for me.