Friday, September 07, 2007

Moving Forward -- A Quick Update

As has already been touched on in the last couple of posts, this last week has been hard on Amy. She's still in a significant amount of pain from her marrow working hard to produce cells, as well as from her fungal infection -- which the doctors believe may be both inside and outside her lungs. The fungal infection is presenting as a type of pneumonia and is making it difficult for her to breathe and is painful. She's also had to be on oxygen these last few days to help with her oxygen levels in the blood and the aforementioned breathing.

Earlier this week she had a few days when she was very confused about where she was. The doctors have changed around her medicine a little bit to help combat that and she is, thankfully, back to her normal self once again -- aware of her surroundings and what is going on. As a precaution they did an MRI on her head (which was clear) and decided to go ahead with the spinal tap to rule out neurological involvement of her disease. They did the spinal tap this morning after giving her both platelet and plasma transfusions, as well as some vitamin K to help with blood clotting. As a further precaution they went ahead and gave her a dose of chemo (methotrexate) into her spinal fluids while they were tapped in so as to not have to do another spinal tap on her in the future. We should have some preliminary results from the spinal tap tomorrow with final results by Monday.

Though we don't have an exact time frame yet, we are moving full steam ahead into the second transplant. The doctor met with Amy & I yesterday to let us know that they were committed to the transplant as long as we were committed to it. Aside from the risks already present with the transplant, her infection increases her risks severely. So we ask that you would pray that the antibiotics she's getting for it will help to contain it before we get to that point. She is currently getting caspofungin, meropenum, vancomycin, and amphotericin B -- a drug she had last year that she did not do well with, though she has not had any of the serious side effects this time that she had last time around (praise the Lord).

Amy & I are always grateful and appreciative of your thoughts and prayers, and of your comments. Thank you all for caring so much for our hardships and well-being. We continue to hold out hope that Amy will be healed and beat this disease, but know that whichever way this ends up that God has gone before us.

We're also thinking of and praying for those of our friends dealing with their own battles with cancer or other serious ailments.

28 comments:

Cornerstone said...

Amy - You are in our prayers every night.. just keep fighting Amy... pray and fight and know that there are many, many of us out here praying with you!
Lisa

Kerry said...

Amy - I have been reading your blog for several months now. Know that my family & I are praying for you in Chicago. God bless you and your precious family.

marie said...

Amy-I'm so greatful to read your mom's update. I've been waiting and worrying. I'm sorry that you are still uncomfortable. I pray that your meds start to kick in and help to ease your discomfort. I had a lot of breathing issues and confusion when I was first in the hospital. There is nothing worse then having a tough time simply breathing. It is exhausting to constantly have to struggle with something most people take for granted. Everyone was telling me "focus", "slow down", and "pay attention to your breathing". How can you not "pay attention to your breathing" when it is such a struggle??? I am sending up prayers left and right for this to clear up and for your comfort.
I am mostly packed and I am as ready as I can be to join you over there in St. Louis. I will try to come visit as soon as possible.

Anonymous said...

Amy, Brandon, and Family,

Thought to check one more time before bedtime and there was your entry. Thankful to have it tonight. Hope you can get some rest.
We think of you all so often and remember you in prayer to the Lord thogh we know He is leading in all that takes place. Know you continue to take one step at a time. May the Lord sustain you.
Love to You from us,
Don and Lilan

Anonymous said...

Amy (and Brandon) my prayers continue to stream to the heavens and God's throne. I am praying for all the specifics and then some, pleading with our heavenly Father to bless you all graciously during this trying time.

With continued prayers...

Anonymous said...

Anita, thankyou so much for the update. I continue to pray for Amy and Brandon and you as a mom. I just picture Jesus there in that hospital room with Amy. I know He loves her and cares for her and hears all the prayers that are being said for her. Our hearts and prayers are with you.
Lois in Washington

Paulette said...

I have come by here to pray at 1:00 am. I do often come by as there are new updates late at night. I always see it as a sign from the Lord that my prayers are always heard even in the wee hours, for I know the Lord never slumbers, nor does he sleep. I pray that the Lord will touch you Amy as you sleep and rid your body of the cancer. I know God is capable of miracles and I pray that for you and your precious family.
We are right here with you, and I will never stop putting you before the throne, I pray the Father shine is light upon you.
I know you are content in how ever God so chooses to handle this Amy but I also know God gives us the desires of our hearts and that is what I ask for you.

Anonymous said...

Brandon & Amy,
May the Lord touch you and heal you. We check often and call out to God for your healing. This is not too big for Him.
The Lind Family

Heather said...

((Praying)) and thank you so much for the update. It sure helps to know which way to direct my prayers. God Bless you and know that we are praying!!-heather

Carey said...

Amy, your in my prayers. May you feel feel Gods love always, and know you have so many people who are praying and care for you.

PEZmama said...

Keep fighting, Amy. I will keep praying.

Tammy C said...

A prayer from North Carolina.My heart goes out to you all.

Anonymous said...

amy and family,
we continue to pray for you. Thank you for continuing to update the blog. Our family checks it everyday and then we spend time praying for you. We are so glad to hear about a 2nd transplant yet we are aware of how difficult that is to go through. SO we will continue to pray.

Grace,
Ashley

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

I continue to pray for you, Amy, and your family. May God keep you wrapped in his peace throughout this time.

Anonymous said...

Amy, Brandon
We will continue to pray for Amy's healing in her lungs. So glad to know that the second transplant is on it's way. Praying for God's amazing grace for each of you. Our hearts hold you so very close.
with love
April Martin and Family

Rachel said...

Thanks so much for the update.
I am still praying for all of you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy,
Our hearts ache for your healing and we know that this suffering and illness is taking its toll on you. We pray that Jesus in his interceding to His Father will present your name as one worthy of healing. God is full of miracles and we ask for one of complete healing for you so that you can go home to your family and live a long and peaceful life with Brandon, Gary, and the rest of your family.

Stay strong as possible and know that we are asking our most gracious and powerful God to bring this disease to a quick and final ending so that you can go out and praise His name for this healing for the rest of your life. We know that our Lord is present with you now and watching over you as you move through this next transplant.
We have the highest of hopes for you.
Uncle Cliff and Aunt Karen

Anonymous said...

Amy,

I'm continuing to pray for your comfort and earthly healing. Praying that the doctors and staff are divinely led to provide the best care and recommendations for you and that the second transplant will successfully bring you into remission. May your strength be renewed each day.

Your courage continues to inspire me to make a difference. I'm raising money for blood cancer research, so that a cure can be found. My hope is that families do NOT have to endure such suffering. You can track my progress here. You are in my heart and thoughts as I do this!

Praying for an earthy miracle,
Jenn

p.s. Thank you, Anita, for the updates.

Kim said...

Brandon,

Thank you for your update. I am so sorry Amy is feeling badly. Please let her know our family is praying for you all right now.

Anonymous said...

You and your family are regularly in my prayers. I pray for strength and peace for all of you knowing our Heavenly Father loves you & is taking care of you.
Rhonda (from TN)

Boomeyers said...

Still sending prayers down highway 70! Praying especially for your comfort!

Anonymous said...

Always praying for you, Amy....He is able....

Episcopollyanna said...

Continuing to keep you in my prayers. God bless.

Carrie said...

Amy (and family),
We are continuing in prayer for you. I am begging God to heal you.
Carrie

Anonymous said...

Amy,
I have been glad to read the updates this past week. I am sorry you are still enduring pain and the fungal infection. Please know that you are being upheld in prayer daily and sometimes hourly! We are praying that the transplant can take place soon and that it will work!
Love to you,
Gina

Unknown said...

I am a friend of Marie's. She has talked a lot about you. I will keep you in my prayers. Barb

squirrely said...

you are in my prayers...

Anonymous said...

Amy, you are never far from my heart and mind. I'm praying praying, praying! God bless,