Thursday, August 10, 2006

41 Days

I just noticed this evening that this is my 41st day in the hospital. No wonder I'm sick of cafeteria food! :-)

Since I last wrote I've had another CT scan and chest x-rays, all of which came back clear. I've ben running a high fever off and on and the doctors are thinking it may be caused by one of the antibiotics I'm on. They haven't removed any of them, though, because they want my white count to be a little higher before they start pulling the safety net. Yesterday was probably the worst day. My fever spiked to 41.7 C by ear, and 40.8 C by mouth. (Read close to 107/104) I think I was delirious part of the day, because I don't remember much. I don't even remember going down for the CT scan. When I woke up after a nap around 7 p.m., Brandon and my parents were here with Gary. (The doctor approved a 20 minute -- no drool or kisses -- visit.) I kept asking Brandon and my dad why they weren't going to work, and they kept telling me it was evening, but then I would forget and ask again. I was just so confused. My cognitive abilities are really poor right now, and I'm having a hard time remembering things. Some days I think it is due to the fever, and some days I wonder if it's a side effect of the chemo or one of the meds I'm on. They have given me Ativan some days, and that can cause some confusion and short term memory loss. I'm also on a new preventitive anti-fungal med that is causing a lot of vision problems. Lights and things like TV or computer screens just seem really bright to me and I catch myself squinting a lot. Reading is difficult as well. Everything blurs. I'm even more grateful now for sites like oneplace.com and enjoyed listening to a sermon by C.H. Spurgeon. I think I fell asleep about halfway through, but what I heard was really good.

I received platelets again yesterday and had a reaction. It may have been responsible for the high fever. I've been running fevers for about a week now, but yesterday was by far the worst. I think I am going to ask them to pre-med with a small dose of Benadryl next time, or some other kind of antihistamine. My iron count is starting to climb on its own and my white count was 1300, up from 600 yesterday. My neutrophils are up to 300, which is great. They need to be at least 1000 before I can go home. I'm still getting a daily shot of Neupogen and apparently it's working. So I am praising God for causing my blood to rebuild, and no fevers today. My main complaints at present are side effects of meds I'm on, so I look forward to the day when we can start removing those and I can go home.

As always, thank you for your prayers on my behalf!

11 comments:

Paulette said...

Sounds very encouraging. I came by to pray for you as I do every night at 11:00 before I retire for the night. I saw you posted and that was a nice surprise!
It looks like God is in control.My best friend went through all this and it takes me back to sitting with her as she went through this same routine. The hardest was when her counts were so low that we had to be so careful. It was worth being careful to be able to be with her in those hard days.
Iam with you in prayer Amy because I certainly can help in that way.
Goodnight and rest in the arms of Jesus.

Eric S. said...

We continue to pray for you. Entrust yourself to the Lord who considers our groanings (Ps 5:1).

Kevin P. Larson said...

Amy, we continue to pray for you! We rejoice with you in your progress. We look forward to the day when you're at home, and then when you can worship with us.

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Sounds like you are improving a little every day, Amy. It's so encouraging to hear that your counts are going up! Thank God for answered prayer. Still praying and watching with you. :-)

Brenda said...

So glad you got to see your baby. The clear scan and x-rays are encouraging. My prayers for you continue.

Barb said...

Fevers that high are mind-boggling. A few times in my life I'd had a high fever, not many, but I remember that it makes you feel like you're just floating and disconnected. I hope this part passes for you soon, Amy. I'm so glad you got to see your baby even for just a little while. That had to be good medicine. And my prayers continue - you're making progress and I know it's hard to be patient but you'll be back home with him and your husband before you know it.

Anonymous said...

Dear Amy,
You don't know me, but I was introduced to your story through another website, and I am now thinking of you often and praying for your recovery. As a mother of two young children I admire your strength to fight through this to get back home to your little boy. You haved amazed me with your faith and acceptance, and I hope you know how many people you will never know are supporting you.

humble servant said...

Amy,

I find myself praying for you throughout the day. As I'm washing dishes, your picture pops in my head and I pray that one day soon you will be able to perform such mundane household chores for your family. (Not that I wish for your family to put you to work when you are home)

I pray that your numbers continue to go up and you are soon past the fevers. I pray that your body recovers quickly and that the cancer remains outside your body. I pray that your arms are strengthened by the weight of your precious son.

Most of all, I pray that your faith remains strong and you continue to lean into your Father and Savior.

God Bless you, Amy.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the high fevers, Amy, and will continue to pray that you get some relief from them.

So glad you got to see Gary!

Blessings,
Rachel E

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Amy, for another update. The up numbers are encouraging, but will be so good for you to be able to be off some of the strong meds and your body be able to work some on it's own again. Thankful you got to see Gary, even it was only a short time. I know that must help you. We are praying often and trust God to bring you through the hard times soon. God loves you and so do we. Love, Grandpa and Grandma Linda

Anonymous said...

Amy, I just found your site today and am heartbroken and full of awe. Your faith is amazing during this most difficult time. Know that I am praying for you and am already praising God for your complete healing here on earth.

I have Beth Moore's book Praying God's Word and also the Scripture prayer cards that go along w/the book. Here's one just for you: "LORD, in my heart I plan my course, but You determine my steps. (Proverbs 16:9)
Life is not going as I planned. I am so grateful that You are not caught off guard. You know everything that would befall me. Please direct my steps as You determine. I need You, Lord. Carry me when I cannont walk."

Praying for you in KS.